FIRSTLOOK: Boys to Men, BEAST



Starting from 'Shock', 'Soom', 'Beautiful', 'Fiction' to the most recent 'It's a Beautiful Night', BEAST who has made each new release a hit song has grown to become an idol group representing K-pop. However it looks like they don't have the heart to stay as just 'idols'. BEAST has surpassed being boys and are becoming men. We heard the story of BEAST who is widening their field to the world, on and off the stage, as well as their present.

Yang Yoseob's echo

You are the team's main vocal. In other words you are the team's 'voice', how do you take care (of your voice)?
For 3 weeks last month, we did BEAST's concert tour (BEAST ZEPP TOUR 2012 [We] ) in Japan. It's a new method I came up with during that time but, I regularly drank 'Bellflower extract' mixed in water, and I also drank it instead of water during the concert. It was a long schedule if you say so but I endured it well. Bellflower helps a lot. (laughs)

In 2011 you played the role of 'Jiyong' in the musical and challenged his first musical. Like this, it looks like you have greed in work outside of BEAST promotions that highlight your personal abilities.
More so than anything I feel very attached and am interested in musicals. I feel that I lack too many things to just act so, I feel that musicals are the best way to show a new side of me while highlight Yang Yoseob's strong points. I don't have any new plans but make Dongwoonie is starting his musical soon so I'm supporting him a lot from the side. I want to give him so tips but I was a minor character, while Dongwoon is the main character.... (laughs) Dongwoon is practicing really hard so I believe he'll do well.

2012 must have went by crazily. In 2013 what will BEAST and Yang Yoseob be doing?
In 2012 we traveled a lot. In the first half of the year we traveled all over the world for our world your, and in the second half we promoted in Japan for a month. I don't wish for anything else but with that experience I want to show a more professional image and better performance. Last year when we promoted Fiction we received the Gayo Daesang. We will continue to run to receive the daesang in 2013. It is soon the end of the year. I have a few words for our fans. You all worked hard in 2012. There is a little more than a month left in 2012 and I hope you end off the year well. Today (photo shoot day) is the day of the College Scholastic Ability Test, if by any chance your results aren't great there is always next time so I hope you don't get distressed. I hope to fly together in 2013.

Jang Hyunseung's twist

Before the interview you were looking at a fashion magazine by yourself. I heard you had a lot of interest in fashion and style, is there a designer you like personally?
Hedi Slimane and Karl Lagerfeld. Hedi Slimane's slender designs and young emotions fit right in with our generation. When you see his collections aren't their a lot of clothes that lead the trends? I heard he is the creative director for Yves Saint Laurent. Next Spring when the clothes he designed come out, I think I'll buy them at once.

I saw that in your profile on portal sites it lists your hobbies as collecting figurines and subscribing to magazines and thought that was unique. I almost fell for figurines, almost felt the taste of them but I took my hands off them. (laughs) I collected stuff here and there but, to be honest Dongwoon is the one who likes them like a mania more so than me. For a while I signed up for regular subscriptions of fashion magazines. I did regular subscriptions before I debuted. I didn't have a lot of money and, to be honest I could get a lot of information on the internet as well but I think I bought them was because there is this certain taste you can only feel from the paper. So I think the money I used for regular subscriptions was in no way waste.

You're at the point in life where you should be striving at school with friends your age or considering entering the work place. You're living 'a life different from other' being in BEAST, I think there would be good things and regretful things within that.
The good point has to be the fact that I make a bit more money than people my age. Being financially stable is honestly very comfortable. (After thinking a long time) I think that people say that being a celebrity is difficult because your private life is not protected and you need to self-regulate. However in contrast there are parts that are comfortable. When I think about how the manager hyungs do things for me without having to take action myself, while discomfort follows, in contrast comfortable also follows.

2013, what plans are their for Jang Hyunseung and BEAST?
In 2013 BEAST's album will be released but, I personally hope that it will be a year where each and every member uses their full strength for their personal activities. I hope it is a year where each member can pull up their charms, skills, and potential. BEAST being together with all 6 members is important but, the public is also curious about each member. I feel that that is much needed and, I think that is a portion that we can appeal to the public.

What do you think Jang Hyunseung will be doing in 10 years?
I was thinking about this recently but, I think I'll be making singers as a producer. While living as a singer myself, to be honest there are things that I want to do but can't. Because I know this I want to foster singers and let them do things that I couldn't. I don't have a talent for writing songs nor am I doing anything right now but, more so than that I'm more confident at choosing people, discovering them, and grouping members together. Or I think I'll running a business quietly and travelling in and out of Korea a lot. That could be a restaurant business...

Son Dongwoon's passion

I heard that the musical you're starring in as main character 'Frank' is starting soon.
The first show is on December 14th but, my first show has been decided for the end of December. Right now is the practicing period but, because it is my first challenge I'm not used to it yet so there are many difficult parts. There is still a lot of time left so I want to work hard so I can show the fans and audience members who come to watch a new image. I'm still at an early stage to be called a musical actor but, as an actor I want to meet the expectations of the audience.

Is there a song you like listening to or a book you enjoy reading recently?
Lately I only listen to musical music (that I'm preparing for). The most recent book I've read is a book of essays by author Lee Byungryul called . Right now personally it isn't a situation where I can travel but, while reading the feelings the author had while travelling, I had many thoughts. Because I'm still young it's hard to say anything with a firm conclusion but, I enjoyed how the book contained a very diverse life. Because I can experience the things I haven't experience second hand I'm trying to read more books when I can.

For 3 years you were 'BEAST's Son Dongwoon'. I'm curious how Son Dongwoon will be 3 years later.
3 years later I think I'll be in my mid 20s (He is born in 1991).... (laughs) Lately I've been worrying about my future a lot. Truthfully I feel that there are a lot of thing I've done for 3 years, and considering my age I've received a lot of things however I also think that I am lacking many things. I want to live busily in many aspects of life. I don't know how I'll be at 25 years old but, I don't want to be envious of other or embarrassed of myself. I want to become a person who can confidently say 'I am this kind of person, and I do this kind of music'.

If there is one thing that human Son Dongwoon is greedy about what would it be?
Because I'm still young it's hard to say things like 'I want to do this kind of music' or 'I am doing this kind of music'. The group 'BEAST' is a community that combines the 6 members' musical colour, and I think that after 3 years BEAST's own colour has finally settled in. I also know that Son Dongwoon's own musical colour is not prominent. I want to find my own musical colour while encountering diverse music genres, practicing a lot, and gaining more experience. I don't know if that will happen by the time I enter my mid 20s but, I want to work that hard to gain it.

Finally, a few words for the fans who will be reading this interview.
In December there will be some people who will particularly feel more lonely, and there will be people who will closely spend more time with their loved ones or family. Even if you're cold and lonely, I hope everyone remembers that there are many people around you that care for you. If I look back at the year 2012 there were times I was exhausted and there were good times. I hope everyone shakes off all the tiring times, and greets the new year. With my musical. (laughs) I wish that they prepare for a meaningful year end and new year.

Lee Kikwang's composure

What is 'BEAST's own colour that Lee Kikwang feels?
First of all, all 6 members are very selfish when it comes to work. Each member's personality or colour is very clear. Other groups are probably the same as well but, when I look at our members, their looks, personality, and charms are all different. I think that the fans feels that this is all new to them. To be honest I don't think that we are particularly more handsome than other groups. I think that the fans think of comfortably and like us because we have the good looking oppa next door feel.

What was the moment that gave you the deepest impression while promoting overseas?
Hm.... because they aren't from the same country, I think the language barrier is the greatest when performing. (With the audience) You need to connect and feel them. Even if you show great singing and dancing, the language you give and receive in between is very important. However when performing in front of overseas fans, the fact that they truly enjoy our performance despite the language barrier is just fresh to me. I've come to think that they're not just they're to watch us but, they truly enjoy the concert and play with us. That's when I think that 'This is why music is an international language'.

In WinWin which you left not too long ago (due to overseas schedules) you were on the interviewing side. What is the difference when listening to other people's stories and talking about your own?
For 2 years while I was MC for I heard stories from sunbaes who were my parents' age to those who were my grandparents' age and, amidst all of that I learned a lot. is a variety show but, it is a program where I got to learn a lot about life. The show itself gets edited so the broadcast is short, however during recording while I carefully listen to the long stories, I was able to find things that happened in their lives which could happen in life. While I heard the stories I thought 'Ah, that person gained energy like that and once again became strong and came to this point'. In those times I became positive, and I learned many ways to live life.

What is the thing that Lee Kikwang is most passionate about right now?
The future. I don't know what's going to happen from now on but I try my best to plan out my future. The worries about my future and executing my plans. Those are the priorities that I think about.

2013, what plans are there for Lee Kikwang and BEAST?
I'm in the learning stage for all the things I have planned and, I want to make them all mine. Next year I want to show people, 'Ah Lee Kikwang was studying this stuff, he can show us this stuff too.'

Yong Junhyung's preference

You write songs and lyrics for BEAST. While producing what things do you bear in mind?
Truthfully, there were things that I used to bear in mind. It needs to appeal to the public, people need to like it, and it needs to have all the basic stuff. For example there needs to be a melody that just resolves everything. There was a time when I thought of this part a lot while producing. Then I couldn't write any songs for 2 to 3 months. I couldn't finish things off, producing while thinking of those things. I kept repeating 'I don't think this works', 'I can't do this like this'. Even after making it there were a lot of songs I threw away because I though 'I don't think it contains this element?'. I received a lot of stress because of it. Like a machine or factory, I thought it was pitiful how I was trying to make music that fit other people's taste. Soon a few productions will be released back-to-back. Those I just produced the way I wanted to. Although I think that some people will feel it is difficult to listen to or they won't like it, I stepped out of that mould and really just did what I wanted to. They seemed to turn out better because of that.

Tell us a little bit about those productions.
Truthfully they are BEAST songs but, not all of BEAST just a song for (a project) within BEAST. I worked on it and, yesterday night I got the final confirmation from the CEO. After the photo shoot is done I need to go to work on the mastering.

Do the conversations or experiences you have with the members get infused into your work?
I remember even just normal conversations to small words exchanged jokingly between members while producing. Almost 50 percent or more comes from my personal experiences or things I've said or heard. The rest I'm inspired by movies or books. Personally I like using 'figure of speech'. Especially when I'm reading poetry, there are many good verses. Of course I can't just copy the things I've read directly. Instead while reading those things I've gained the ability to use poetic expressions. I'm influenced in this way.

Then is there a movie or book that gave you a deep impression?
I really like the actress Amanda Seyfried. I watched the movie and, the whole movie overall was very enjoyable. Out of the songs I've worked on recently, I wouldn't be exaggerating if the most important song was created after watching this movie.

Yoon Doojoon's flight

Not too long ago I came across an article that stated you will be in (as NSS elite agent Seo Hyunwoo). You also were in the movie that will be released in December (as Yoo Donggeun's eldest son as well as the family's ace grandson, Youngmin). I think there are charms of being an actor different from that of your job as a singer.
As a singer being on stage gives me more strength. However there are charms that I can't explain. As an actor I need to express a different person other than myself and it's a new experience but, it's still difficult for me. Instead it's exciting doing things I wasn't able to do in my everyday life.

Iris is a spy drama with lots of action scenes. Does the action scene practices fit with you well?
It's difficult but thankfully it's fun. I'm very interested in action. I enjoy exercising originally. Although I don't enjoy hitting people. (laughs) When I first started filming I was very worried about the action. However with the help of the staff around me I'm gaining confidence. They put in their best efforts to film me well so, I practice harder as well.

I want to hear about your role as 'Youngmin' in the soon released movie and your role as 'Seo Hyunwoo' in the drama you're currently filming .
First of all the two characters have an age difference of almost 10 years. is a sequel of the movie that takes place 10 years later. Youngmin is a high school student and, the character is not much different from myself. The character is similar to a regular bright and active high school student. 's Seo Hyunwoo is in his late 20s. He has a bright side but, that he seems to carry this weight? When it comes to missions regarding the organization he has a knife-like charisma. I think it's a very cool character but, depending on how I do the role's quantity and quality.

What is the biggest change you feel after 3 years of BEAST debuting?
The internal changes are the biggest. Of course everyone became more handsome and good looking. (laughs) Lately we've all become more stable, and compared to when we just debuted, we're all more relaxed. Of course there are times where we're still very impatient and we get taken aback but I think the time has come where we can express ourselves better without feeling burdened. So all work is fun these days.

After the photo shoot is over today I heard that you'll be flying to the US soon. If you get a 'break' what is something that you really want to do?
I want to go on a trip, really. Whether it is overseas or inside the country. When I'm really busy I remember my childhood days when I'd go on trips with my father. When I was young we'd go on family trips often all over the country to the mountains, seas, and rivers. I want to arrange that kind of time again. Even today, the family all left for the Philippines without me. With family or friends, a one day trip or for a few days, I want to go on a trip to somewhere too.

The photo shoot and interview with the 6 men were done efficiently within a tight schedule. We can't know their 'everything' through small conversations that took place here and there. However it is not hard to figure out that the time it took for them to get here was not used wastefully. The quote 'Boys became men' may be overused. However those words are the most natural when revealing the BEAST of now, the 6 men.



Source:  FIRST LOOK
Trans: poco123@B2ST RISING

Source : dkpopnews[dot]net

No comments:

Post a Comment