B1A4 talks about 'Sleep Well, Goodnight' with WHAT’S IN Magazine!


Q. The Japanese version of Sleep Well, Goodnight is a fresh dance song composed by Jinyoung!
Sandeul: We live together in a dormitory. There was a day I was about to go to sleep, when Jinyoung hyung suddenly said “Hey, listen to this!” and woke me up. I was really sleepy then. (laugh) The moment I listened to it I liked it so much I woke all the members up.
Baro: I was really tired, and he woke me up the moment I had just fallen asleep. At first I was going to say “I got it~ I’ll listen to it tomorrow”, but upon listening to it, I liked it so much I started dancing. (laugh)
Jinyoung: He lifted the mood up suddenly.
CNU: We usually have absolute faith in the songs that Jinyoung creates. When I first heard the song, I thought that despite it being very different from what he had created in the past, it was good.
Jinyoung: In reality, I actually hesitated about letting them listen to the song.

Q. Why?
Jinyoung: The chorus is sung in falsetto, hence I thought if it would have been better if I gave it to a female singer instead. But Sandeul’s reaction was so good. I was really glad that everyone said it was good.
Gongchan: I was the only one who did not manage to hear it at the same time with everyone else, but I was more sober than them (because they heard it after getting awoken). I thought it was a really good song. As CNU hyung said, it is of a different style from what he used to do, and hence we decided upon it as the title song for our next single.

Q. The lyrics of the original Korean version were also penned by Jinyoung, and it does show a more matured image compared to as before, with an outlook on the world.
Jinyoung: I guess so. At first I wrote lyrics along the line of dancing together, but it eventually turned out to be about getting rid of a girlfriend and then going to dance.
CNU: The theme of the lyrics is a ‘cute player boy’.
Sandeul: Normal player boys usually enjoy themselves after getting rid of their girlfriends, but for us cute player boys, we give off the feeling that our girlfriends are liberal enough to allow us to go dance.
Jinyoung: Cute player boys who are sorry to their girlfriends for going to play alone.

Q. So the leading character of this song is Jinyoung?
Jinyoung: No no, it is not a personal experience. (laugh) I have never gone to a club before, so most of it is from imagination. It was written with the members in mind. For example, I imagined what Baro would have done, if he was a player boy.

Q. So if you were a player boy who got rid of his girlfriend to go play, where would you go? [T/N: Getting rid here is not a negative meaning, nor does it refer to a break-up. More like temporary separation, for the day etc.)
J inyoung: There is someplace I’d like to go in the day so I’ll get rid of her in the day. There are many people who cannot ride rollercoasters even though they like it right? I want to go to the amusement park, ride rollercoasters and eat cotton candy.
Sandeul: To a cafe. I’ll order an Americano, turn on my laptop, and give off a vibe that I’m spending time alone… While waiting to meet that somebody.
Baro: You might still be alone even after your coffee is cold. (laugh) I will go to Han River, and eat chicken and drink cola.
CNU: I will devote all my time to the girl I’m dating, as I want to always be with her. After I get rid of my girlfriend and make some personal time, I will watch movies that I did not get to watch.
Baro: I will risk everything for the one woman I give all my heart to.
Jinyoung: Everyone is like that. I too, will never cheat on my girlfriend. I’m worried about not being able to see a girlfriend that I’ve gotten rid of.
Gongchan: If my girlfriend oversleeps, and there is no one who will play with me… I’ll probably go back to sleep too.

Q. How was recording in Japanese like?
Gongchan: It was not our first time recording in Japanese, so we’re more used to it now and are starting to enjoy it.
Baro: Jinyoung hyung did our vocal direction.

Q. We’ve heard that he is surprisingly strict.
Sandeul: I thought that I’d never be allowed out of the recording booth. (laugh) It was absolute hell when we recorded Bling Girl, a song made by Jinyoung hyung, and is also included in our debut Japanese single. I was really scared before we started recording this time, but I managed to understand the demands of hyung a little faster.
Jinyoung: I kept asking for a higher quality, so the recording time extended by a lot. I think I gave the members a lot of difficulties with my “if we sing more, the song will become better” mindset while recording.
Baro: It was hard for him to direct a Japanese song, but I think we perfected the song thanks to him.

Q. The other songs included in this single are cool, strong and electro. Japanese versions of Baby I’m Sorry and So Fine have been included.
Jinyoung: So Fine is a song that has received much love in Korea. I rearranged it for the Japanese version, and added some klaxon sounds. You’ll be able to feel a fresh charm that is different from the Korean version. I believe that upon listening to these 3 songs, listeners will be able to feel how diverse of a group we are.

Q. A song that you would like to listen to before you sleep?
Gongchan: Sung Sikyung‘s 당신은 참… (You Are So…). It is a slow song, and comfortable enough that the moment I put my earphones into my ear, I will fall asleep. It’s really nice to have a voice next to your ear as if it’s whispering to you.
Baro: Justin Bieber‘s Die In Your Arms. The lyrics have absolutely no correlation with sleeping (laugh) But it is a really calming song. It sounds really good in your ears, so please try listening to it before you sleep too.
Sandeul: Kim Dongryul‘s 편지 (Letter). The lyrics speak of an old letter as the theme, and has a back story of revisiting the past. The lyrics are bittersweet. Whenever I cannot fall asleep, the voice in this ballad lulls me to sleep.
CNU: Robin Thicke‘s The Sweetest Love. I’ve always been a fan of his voice. This song has a slight jazz feel to it, and I feel like it’ll be nice to listen to it before sleeping.
Jinyoung: will.i.am‘s This Is Love. Rather than listening to a soft song, I like to listen to something brighter to release the tension. This song is not only upbeat, but it also has a sad feel to it. The arrangement is well done, and do pay attention to the piano sounds and the phrases in the song!


Source: beautifulday.kr
Translation Credits: skipfire @ FLIGHTB1A4.com

Source : dkpopnews[dot]net

No comments:

Post a Comment